subfloor swelling

Old 11-17-06, 05:01 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
subfloor swelling

i am going to be putting down 3/4 in. t&g osb. it will be exposed to the weather for some time while i bumble my way through the framing process. i was wondering what i could do to keep it from swelling. a friend suggested spraying on a wood sealer. seems like an ok idea. any thoughts/suggestions?

Old 11-18-06, 05:45 PM
E
subfloor problem

I had that problem. My subfloor swelled and warped. I used TandG OSB. I'm not sure what to do about that problem. my floor got rained on 3 times before the framers were able to dry it in. I was told to use non TandG sheet of ply wood and space them 1/8" apart to accomodate expanding and contracting. They recommended putting melomine on top of the plywood to cover the gaps. I've posted a thread on this forum asking for advice. I'm waiting on a response. My tile is cracking now and the carpeted areas have noticeable humps and valleys.

Old 11-20-06, 06:37 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Subfloor

Consider using Advantech. It is water resistant.

Old 12-21-06, 01:26 AM
my sugestion : either stay away from osb and use plywood
or go with Polartherm osb. it is treated on the exposed side and will resist moisture for some time. thats all i use in my houses and it works great.

Old 12-21-06, 08:14 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Use exterior grade plywood or other water resistant product. It will save you headaches.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: