Removing subflooring under a wall?

Old 12-20-06, 07:27 AM
Removing subflooring under a wall?

My wife and I just bought this two story house with basement. We started to notice a cat urine smell in the main floor powder room which was inexplicably carpeted. We decided that regardless of the fact that it is new carpet we did not want carpet in a powder room with a little boy. So I ripped out the carpet, pad, and tack strip to replace it with ceramic tile. The suspect spot is in the back corner of the room adjacent to the garage wall (load bearing) and wash room wall (probably non-load bearing). After reading this forum about removing cat urine it seems like my two options are clean and seal or replace the damaged section of subflooring. Since I don't want to have a residual smell after putting down a tile floor I am inclined to replace the section of subfloor. The problem with this is since it is in the corner the subflooring goes under both soleplates. Any thoughts on the best way to remove subflooring without demo-ing the existing walls? Of course the wash room wall appears to run parallel to my joists right in the center. I obviously need something for my patch to bear on, any ideas?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-06, 12:23 AM
well for starters you dont ever want to mess with load bearing walls if you have to. this will just open up a whole new can of worms for you. do you have a 2x10 joist system or other?? i can give you an awnser with a little more info

Old 12-21-06, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the reply. Definitely don't think it is load bearing as it splits the joists and the sole plate was cut to make room for a dryer vent. The house has 2x10 I-joists. After opening up the area I had little choice but to go under the laudry room wall. The short section of sole plate just happened to have a knot that was full of moist wood shavings saturated with urine. Also had to cut out a foot of drywall in both rooms. Now I guess I will have to cut up floor in laundry room back to center of first joist so that I can replace subfloor. I am guessing that I will have to block edges with 2x4 to give a bearing surface in those areas. I can send you a picture via PM if this helps.

Thanks
Brent