low ceilings/want to expose attic framing

Old 12-21-06, 11:17 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question low ceilings/want to expose attic framing

Hi there-forum newbie here. We bought a crappy 1950 ranch, 1200 sq.ft. The ceilings are low and the house is full of stupid walls. We want to knock out a bunch of walls and remove the ceilings to reveal the framing. How do we figure what can be removed? (I know the load-bearing issue) Can some joists be removed to "open up" the look? Must we consult an engineer? I know this is a kooky idea but we are kooks. Then, when we get the "naked" interior, how do we insulate the ceilingless ceiling? We're in Dallas TX area, in the country. Don't worry: I can't find my sledgehammer at the moment. It'll be my husband and our very handy friend doing this. Thanks!

Old 12-21-06, 12:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ladyrancher: I would definetly consult a structural engineer. They are not expensive and will show you exactly what and what not to remove. They will also give you many helpful hints. This type of work is a good size project. You will need permits, and licensed electrician and maybe a plumber. I say a plumber because in your part of the country in many cases they ran the water lines through the walls. Good Luck, and write back if you have more questions. The money spent on the structural engineer will be very well spent. Without one you could have a disaster.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: