10' Beam instructions needed.....

Old 01-02-07, 08:06 AM
10' Beam instructions needed.....

Hi everyone! In preparations for tile, I've finished several support walls in part of my basement, the ones under the kitchen/pantry part of a hallway. I've also finsihed sistering about 80% of the floor joists that I need to. I am now to an area in the basement where the two previous solutions I've used will either severly intrude on the dynamics of the basement (another wall) or be near impossible to install (sistering joists.) So I need to build a beam.

The beam shall be 10' in length, Height and width will be whatever they need to be. It will be supported with two posts (material yet to be determined) at the 1' and 9' marks more or less.

The purpose of the beam is to reduce the span of the joists from 12' to 9'.
Current joists system is 2x10's 12' long 16 O.C. It's also a bathroom floor....the area i want to help support.

So would something like 3 2x12's with 2 pieces of plywood, glued an nailed sufice?

Once in place, I'll probably jack the sucker up a tad to slide my posts in place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/harleysilo/Basement/beamexample.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-07, 12:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What you have planned sounds sufficient. The only problem is what will your posts be sitting on? Some areas will require you to dig and pour substantial footings for them, while others will allow them to sit on an existing pour. As far as what to support the joists with, I would use polymer shims in pairs only. Check with the proper authorities to see what they will require for your post supports, as they will be the ones to approve the plans.

Old 01-08-07, 05:56 AM
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm in Woodstock by the way. I will not be pooring footers for the posts. Am planning on using metal post supports that bolt into the basement floor, and then nail to bottom of post. Am also considering notching beam to allow for varrying joist heights.

Picture here, sorry I don't remember how to make it show up...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/harleysilo/Basement/beam.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/harleysilo/Basement/CIMG0667.jpg

Old 01-09-07, 04:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
2x10's at 16oc spanning 12' is sufficient, so are you detecting deflection in the floor, or something else that causes you to want to install this post and beam? I would really like floors with 2x10's to install tile on, but most of what we have is 2x8, but shorter spans. We don't have problems with cracking, etc. I was just wondering, if it may save you some space and headaches.