Load bearing post replacment\removal

Old 01-08-07, 09:29 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Load bearing post replacment\removal

I am new here so please bear with me. I just purchased my first home a few months back, its an older house built in 1910 but it has been recently updated. The family room on the first floor is where I have an issue, it is approximately 21 X 20 and has a load bearing post smack right in the middle. This room has lots of potential but having this pole there limits our options. My question finally is can I remove this pole and replace it with beams spanning across the ceiling so that I have a wide open room to work with? How can this be done? Above this room are the guest and master bed rooms. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-09-07, 04:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It is doubtful you will be able to do it aesthetically as the beam will be horribly large. In your situation, it would be best to consult a structural engineer, since the age of the house and its general condition will be a big factor. Welcome to the forums, and post back if we can help at all. Sorry I didn't have a better answer for you.

Old 01-09-07, 06:29 AM
J
That pole is holding a beam that runs perpendicular to the joists. Any takers?

Is the beam in the ceiling or below the ceiling - i.e. can you see it?

In either case, it should be a doable job. I spanned 16' with 2 2x10's sandwiching a steel plate. What's another 4 or 5 feet? Maybe a little thicker steel - but probably not necessary.

Old 01-09-07, 06:56 AM
J
Originally Posted by awdturbo2g View Post
My question finally is can I remove this pole and replace it with beams spanning across the ceiling so that I have a wide open room to work with? How can this be done? Above this room are the guest and master bed rooms. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
This is done all the time. Depending on how wide of an opening you want and what that post is holding up and also if the second floor joists are sitting on that wall. That will determine what size beam or steel goes in there.

If you want the wall all the way open to the bottom of the second floor joists, then you will have to put a flush beam in there. There can be electrical wires/plumbing/duct work....etc in the way also.There are many ways to do this. You have to get an Architect or Engineer in there to look at this.

Old 01-09-07, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Did we jump posts or what?

Old 01-09-07, 07:27 PM
A
Originally Posted by Jeff Matthews View Post
Is the beam in the ceiling or below the ceiling - i.e. can you see it?.
There is no beam visible that the post is holding so it must be in the cieling. Ill have a contractor or engineer come take a look at the room now that i know it might be possible. Thanks guys

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: