Old Framing Around Stairs Sagging - Help.

Old 01-15-07, 02:26 PM
Old Framing Around Stairs Sagging - Help.

Dear All:

I have an 80 year old house that is reasonably sound, but I noticed that the framing around the stairwell is poor and there is some separation and sagging of one side of the joists. It looks to be about 3/4" or so and the plaster on the two floors above is cracked consistant with the sag of the joist. The location is such that a jacking post could be put in without too much trouble, but I need to know the following:

A) If the house is done settling, should I even bother jacking this up?
B) Am I asking for more cracking or other problems is I jack it up?
C) What are the "tricks of the trade" when it comes to jacking?
D) What is the best option??

Thanks in advance
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-07, 03:46 PM
Jacking might get rid of the sag but it won't fix the underlying problem. I think you should probably do a little more investigation before deciding on a repair. Is the sagging joist undersized? Is it separating from a header? Is it one of the perimeter joists around the stairway opening? If so it should be a doubled joist.

Jacking the joist may cause more plaster cracking, but that's pretty easy to fix. The key is to go slowly, making the adjustment over several days.

Old 01-15-07, 04:33 PM
The joist is properly doubled and all that. It's merely separating from the header - which is improperly doubled. Furthermore, there is no joist hanger - which is probably most of the problem.

Old 01-15-07, 06:03 PM
It also looks suspiciously like there used to be a bearing wall here, but can't tell for sure.

Old 01-16-07, 04:40 PM
The post went in today and it easily raised things about 1/4" or so. I will raise it up 1/4" at a time and let you know what happens.. The stairway is headered off extremely poorly - I don't think the problem is anymore than that. I would let it go, but the wall on the first floor above it is a bearing wall.