Proper way to frame a doorway header???

Old 01-16-07, 01:52 PM
Proper way to frame a doorway header???

I'm doing some basic interior remodeling and each time I remove drywall, I'm greeted with new surprises... Today, my kitchen.

There are 3 entrances, all 30" wide. The 1st is a load bearing wall w/a 2x10 header sitting on a jack stud and a king stud on each side of the opening. The next load bearing wall has a jack stud and a king stud on one side and a jack stud and 2 king studs on the other. The 3rd is not a bearing wall and it too has a jack stud and a king stud on one side and a jack stud and 2 king studs on the other.

I want to be within code. What is the proper way to frame these door openings? Is it one jack stud and one king on each side or one jack and 2 kings?

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-07, 02:42 PM
I am going to say 1 jack 1 king per side. The others you encountered probably had extra kings to allow the studs to be 16 inch on center. Thereby having the proper spacing to nail or screw drywall.

Old 01-17-07, 05:15 AM
Originally Posted by badeyeben View Post
I am going to say 1 jack 1 king per side. The others you encountered probably had extra kings to allow the studs to be 16 inch on center. Thereby having the proper spacing to nail or screw drywall.
Agreed. As long as it's not more than 6'-0" wide it should go, King, jack, header, jack, king, & then any additional studs to keep them 16" o.c.. If more than 6'-0", then (2) jacks are usually required on each side.

Old 01-17-07, 07:05 AM
Thanks guys. Makes sense to me. The 9 ft. span in another room has a 2x12 on 2 jacks per side. The 16" spacing theory for one of the extra kings doesn't work out, but then again, there were a number of Schaefer bottles tucked into the walls. Not to mention many other questionable findings...

Last edited by syakoban; 01-17-07 at 07:16 AM.