Rotten Bath Flooring

Old 02-12-07, 07:17 PM
Rotten Bath Flooring

I have read through numerous of the posts here and have obtained some very good info.

My dilemma is this. I recently discovered that I had a faulty toilet by way of it freezing up my sewer line and flooding my bathroom for numerous hours. I cleaned up the mess, pulled the toilet and removed 3 layers of old flooring. I have noticed that most of the flooring still seems to be in decent shape somehow once it dried out, except for an small area around where the toilet sat.

My question is this: Can I reinforce that area and then lay down a new sheet of 5/8" OSB, reset my closet flange, reinstall my new flooring and then set a new toilet or would you recommend replacing the damaged flooring. I am not sure what centers my joists are set on, if there are any in the area of the toilet where I need to replace the floor and what direction they are running.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-07, 05:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the diy forums!

Most MH floor joists are 2x6's on 16" centers and run from side to side across the steel frame. I did used to own one MH that the floor joists ran pararell to the steel frame.

It's hard to say from here if you could get by without replacing the sub floor under the commode. IMO it is always a good idea to replace any flooring that is suspect. It doesn't take much for damaged particle board to deteriate further.

It is possible to further support a week floor by adding 2x's to the floor joists. It is often advisable to add a 2x for nailing purposes when replacing part of the floor.

hope this helps,

mark

Old 02-13-07, 08:02 AM
Mark,

Thanks for the info. I believe the bathroom floor may have been redone in my bathroom once before because it is not the standard particle board. It is 3/4" plywood, it might even be wolmanized but I'm having trouble telling. I rechecked this morning and there is only a small dip slightly behind the closet flange.

I had planned on using floor leveler or bondo to fill in the depression, reinforce with some steel plate and then refloor with 5/8" exterior grade OSB over top.

Old 02-13-07, 09:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not aware of any MH's that use 3/4" plywood so it does sound like it has been replaced at some point. While it is never a great idea to leave any detriated flooring it sounds like you should be ok to do so, especially if you mount the commode flange to the new osb.

A steel plate might be overkill but it never hurts to have more strength than is needed.

Old 02-13-07, 12:53 PM
Mark,

Thanks again. I am going to reinstall a new closet flange on the new OSB after all the new flooring is down and with the steel plate, nothing big or overdone, just something small to help distribute the weight of the toilet and its user. Better safe that in the crawlspace.

And I do not think the subfloor has been replaced as I pulled up what I think to be the original linoleum with the felt backing. I think I have a 1966 Marlette singlewide