Subfloor in shed

Old 02-19-07, 04:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Subfloor in shed

I purchased a property with a shed already built. The problem is there's no floor and its on pier blocks. I think the shed was built to be put on a slab but since i have room to move it i want to put a suspended floor. Its a 10' x 16' shed, i want to put pressure treated 4x4 under the 2x4 that are supporting the walls. That way i can use hangers with 2x6 floor joist. My concern is how far to place the joist apart? should i use concrete piers in the middle to support floor joist? Should i also put 2x6 in between the joist? The ground underneath has gravel, should i worry about moisture? I appreciate the advice in advance.

Thanks,
eric

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-07, 07:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Votes on 89 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums Eric

This is a little out of my area of expertise but since you haven't gotten a reply yet I'll try to answer.

Is there a reason you can't [or don't want to] pour a concrete floor? I assume that was what the previous owner intended.

2x8's [10' lenght] should be sufficent to hold up the floor with out support in the middle - unless you're planning on loading the bldg up with a lot of havy stuff. Floor joists are normally spaced 16" on center. If the floor joist will be close to the ground with little ventilation it might be a good idea to use PT wood.

Hopefully a real carpenter will be along later with better advice for you.

Old 02-20-07, 07:49 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Shed floor

I would move the shed to the side and away from its permanent location. Then use 2x8's as Mark suggested with rim joists to build a permanrnt floor system. Space the joists on 16 in. centers and cover with flooring of your choice. I would use 3/4" Advantec. Then set the shed on the floor system and fasten down.

Old 02-20-07, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
subfloor in shed

Thanks for the help first of all. The shed is huge and heavy, i dont know how to move something this size safely. I would have to move it, pour concrete then move it back and the cost for the concrete is out of my budget unless i did it myself. The shed is already on piers, a part of one of the 2x4 that supports a wall is busted. This shed was sitting on concrete before the previous owner had to move it. I figured 4x4 under the 2x4 would be enough to support 2x8 for a floor and it would be easier and cheaper than concrete. I welcome anymore advice, what exactly is a rim joist?

Thanks,
eric

Old 02-21-07, 05:41 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Rim Joist

The rim joist is the outer joist at each end of the floor joists and at right angles to the floor joists.. Normal practice is to nail through the rim joist into the ends of the floor joists and attach joist hangers to the rim joist when supporting the floor joists.