Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Stupid question: How do I know if I have floor joists or roof trusses?

Old 02-21-07, 12:23 PM

I was in the attic, am I looking at a floor joist or the bottom of a roof truss? How do I tell for sure? I thought all roofs were held up via a truss system.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-07, 12:45 PM
Attic

We need more information. Post a photo address so we can see what you are talking about.

Old 02-21-07, 12:49 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/jetmech727/100_0649.jpg

Thats the only pic I have right now of the attic. The joists or what I think are joists are deep in that insulation

Old 02-21-07, 01:24 PM
Roof Support

Roofing systems are generally of the truss variety or the traditional rafter, ridge beam, and joist variety.

In a truss system, the bottom chord of the truss serves as the ceiling joist for the room below. In some open truss designs, the bottom chord can be the ceiling joist for the room below and also the floor joist for the attic.

Does your system have a ridge beam at the peak of the roof? If so, you have a traditional rafter system.

Does this pertain to some sort of support issue in the room below?

Old 02-21-07, 03:18 PM
Yes it does pertain to a support issue. I want to remove a wall. Here is a not to scale drawing of the attic layout in reference to what I think are joists. I assume if it were a truss system then everything would be running the same way. I wan to remove a wall, that is "the wall in question" in the drawing.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/jetmech727/scan-1.jpg

Old 02-21-07, 04:25 PM
Wall

I would say the wall you want to remove is a load bearing wall partially supporting the joists in the lower left portion of your diagram. The fact that they are nailed to the adjoining joist, in my opinion, would not be adequate support without the wall.

Another clue might be under the floor. What supports, if any, are directly under the wall in the basement or crawl space?

Old 02-21-07, 07:25 PM
joists in the floor below the wall are paralell with the wall I want to remove. There is a wall below 18 inches over from the one above. It's not load bearing im sure of that.