Raising floor to match

Old 02-27-07, 08:57 AM
Raising floor to match

The previous owner of my ranch house added a large room on the back that serves as a dining/family room. The dining room floor is level with the rest of the house, but the family room steps down. I'm going to raise the family room to match the rest of the house because I'm putting an 8' pass thru from the kitchen to the family room that will have a countertop and bar stools.

The addition is on a concrete slab. To raise the dining room floor, the previous owner laid down pressure treated lumber (on the short side) and put regular 2x6's that had been cut for height on top of that. Do I need pressure treated wood if it comes into contact with the concrete when its inside the house? I had originally intended to just lay down mil plastic and use untreated 2x8's and 3/4" plywood to match the floor level.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-07, 10:02 AM
Raising Floor

Wood making contact with masonry should be treated.

How will this affect your ceiling height?

Old 02-27-07, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
Wood making contact with masonry should be treated.

How will this affect your ceiling height?
It has cathedral ceilings, so I'm not worried about height. The dining room is already raised, and the step is less than 7".

So should I do as the previous owner did and use pressure treated on its side for the base with regular beams on top of that? I'd rip 2x8's to height, but I seem to remember that being harder to do than regular wood. Maybe it was just wet. And I have a really low end table saw.

Old 02-27-07, 11:17 AM
Ripping

Ripping difficulty is related to wood thickness, sharpness of blade, and saw power. I would want to use a 15 amp saw for this with a sharp blade. Do not "crowd" the saw. This will take longer than if you were ripping 1x lumber.