Knee Walls in Attic

Old 03-05-07, 05:53 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Knee Walls in Attic

Hello:
I have an attic with a typical Gable (A-Frame roof) with a full-size door in a bedroom for direct access.
I would like to "raise the roof" by adding 4-ft knee walls on the 3 outside walls and replace the roof to give more headroom. The foundation and joists and lower stud walls will support this weight.

The building codes in my area will allow this type of construction, but I have read about something called hinge joints.
Will this configuration work & if so, what additional bracing and supports will I need?
thanks

Old 03-12-07, 01:30 PM
C
If you're going to raise the roof, why wouldn't you want to raise it 8' instead of only 4' ?

If you used scissor joists on the 4' walls, you wouldn't have a hinge joint situation. Otherwise, as it appears you aleady understand, without a ceiling joist to tie the walls together, there won't be anything (other than the strength of the joint) to keep the walls from spreading.

Old 03-15-07, 02:33 PM
S
knee walls

Thanks Charm3:
I am considering 8 ft walls, so want to distinguish the addition from the front part of the house built in 1875...the ceilings are only about 7 ft there an ddon't want to overpower the old part you know.
Any thoughts?
sandman

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: