Framing a ceiling

Old 03-02-07, 01:27 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Framing a ceiling

My kitchen is 10x16. I have a drop ceiling now but I am going to rip out the drop ceiling and put up sheet rock at the same height as the drop. How can I reframe the ceiling? Would placing 2x4's on the outer perimeter and 2x4's every 12" hold sheetrock? Would I be able to place 2x4's every 16"? I am in NJ.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/jaslken/100_0406.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/jaslken/100_0440.jpg

Old 03-02-07, 03:44 PM
P
Not a good idea!

If you check above your existing ceiling you'll find that the joists are more than likely 2" X 8" or larger and are spaced 24" apart. The reason for this is the new drywall you'll be using is very heavy. I noticed from your pictures that the ceiling under the drop is only about 12". I would just restore the original ceiling. It would be easier. If you are determined to drop the ceiling I would use nothing less than a 2" X 6" for framing on 16" centers. The best would be a 2" X 8" on 24" with a perimeter as you mentioned. Remember to use joist hangers for each attachment to the perimeter flash board. This will give you plenty of support.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-05-07, 07:06 AM
J
I purchased 2x4x10's over the weekend. I was planning on ripping out the ceiling but I am glad I got your reply. Can I still use the 2x4's with 12" on center to give support or do I need to go bigger??? I would hate to carry that all back to HD!!! I was figuiring 2x4 w/ 12" on center would give enough support to hold the drywall... please advise. Thanks.

Old 03-07-07, 01:42 PM
J
Any ideas on this one...

the one thing I forgot to mention is I planned on toenailing 3 1/2 screws into the support beams above through the 2x4's. Will this add additional support as well? I also will use the hangers. Will this suffice or do I need to go bigger with a 2x6 or 2x8??? Thanks for your help...

Old 03-07-07, 09:20 PM
U
Are you just using the 2x4s as spacers?...keeping the current ceiling joists in place and attaching the 2x4s (on end) to the underside of each? If so, then you're fine because the 2x4s are actually strengthening the joists. I would attach the 2x4s with strong ties, straps or nail-in plates instead of toenailing through the 2x4 into the joist above.

You're not talking about "ripping out" the existing ceiling joists and replacing them are you? Definitely not a good idea...

Old 03-08-07, 03:34 PM
J
No I am not ripping out the existing joist... just the drop ceiling materials. I wanted to install sheetrock at the same height the drop ceiling is at. I was trying to put in 2x4's the perimeter of where the drop ceiling is currently... I want to install 2x4's every 12" on the inside to support the hanging of the sheetrock... I hope I am explaining this correctly!!! Thanks, Jazzy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: