To subfloor or not

Old 03-10-07, 08:09 PM
To subfloor or not

I'm going to attempt my first do it yourself project...to put laminate or hardwood (not sure which one yet) flooring in a semi-finished attic. The hallway and one of the bedrooms in the attic have hardwood floors in them. The previous owners created a master bedroom in the attic as well, but did not really finish the floor there. They stained the existing attic floor (wide plank flooring that has separated a bit in some places and has "holes" in spots due to the knots in the floor). We currently use it as our bedroom so I know that it is strong enough to hold us and the furniture.

My question is...if I'm going to install laminate or hardwood flooring, do I need to put down some kind of subfloor on top of the existing plank flooring? Or is the existing plank flooring considered the subfloor? If I decide to put down carpeting, should I put down some type of subfloor so that the floor is even with the hardwood flooring in the hallway?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-07, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You should have a smooth substrate to install laminate and carpeting, although I have seen hardwood installed directly on angularly installed subflooring materials. I would recommend a subflooring such as Advantech or other brands, but you will have to take into consideration door openings that exist now. Will they have to be modified if you lift the floor 3/4" for subflooring and another 3/4" for hardwood?