Leveling a floor

Old 03-22-07, 09:57 AM
Leveling a floor

My fiance and I reciently bought a house that was built in 1910 and are playing with the idea of remodeling the kitchen. One problem we are running into is the floor slopes twords the middle of the house. When we had it inspected the gentleman said that if we were to jack up the house to level it we would run into problems with cracking plaster and possably doing more damage. He suggested we use a self leveling "cement" to level the floor so we could install new cabinetry. How would we go about doing something like this and would it cause more harm to the supports and floor joists underneath?

***Moderator's note: Duplicate thread created in the Kitchens topic has been deleted***

Last edited by DIYaddict; 03-22-07 at 10:08 AM. Reason: see note in post
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-07, 10:12 AM
Self-leveling cement is available at the box stores; look for it in the flooring department. There are primers to paint the existing floor - either latex or epoxy based - to promote adhesion between the two. The leveling compound comes in bags and is mixed with water in 5 gallon buckets using a heavy-duty drill and a paddle mixer. Usually several bags of compound are needed, so several pours occur one after another. The prep work prior to pouring involves damming off openings and sealing holes; 3/4" stick-on foam weatherstip works well, as does caulk, duct tape, etc. Its typical to weatherstrip the entire perimeter to avoid expansion/contraction issues between the floor and walls as the house goes through the seasons. Don't forget your going to get a step of compound at some doorways. Other than that, your existing floor joists must be up to the added weight of the compound your adding. When I did a room, I bought enough 5 gal. utility buckets for each bag of compound and pre-measured the water into each one. Then my brother mixed as I poured and spread the compound. The floor will dry in 3-4 hours and will look and feel like a poured concrete floor.

Old 03-22-07, 12:39 PM
Leveling cement can be tricky for a novice (or even intermediate for that matter). Also if your house is that old it probably has 4-6" pine tongue and groove boards as the subfloor which have probably seperated in places because of settling...and thus the leveling cement will simply find the cracks and introduce itself to your basement floor.

I had to jack my house up last year because the main beam was sagging as well-it is not a tough job-but the plaster has cracked in spots, but i planned on painting anyways so it was no big deal. Just go slow!

Nick

Search this Thread