removal of load bearing wall

Old 03-01-09, 02:53 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
removal of load bearing wall

Hi guys, I posted in the walls and ceilings portion of this forum but I think this question might be better asked here. I plan on taking down a portion of a load bearing wall and would like to know the header size that I would need to replace the missing wall. The wall is 20 feet in length and I plan on removing 6 feet of the wall directly in the center of the wall and make a doorway between the two rooms. The wall is above a full basement and supports an upstairs bedroom floor. Would I also need additional supports in the basement (like lollicolumns or jacks) to deflect any weight coming from the upstairs? One other question, is it possible that this wall already has a header above it since it is supporting a large portion of the upstairs and since it is a pretty large wall (20') in length? Thanks in advance for any replies>

Old 03-01-09, 06:14 PM
D
Well, I would need way more info before answering that.
When was the structure built and where is it? ( your public info gave no indication). What size, material, and spacing are the 1st and second floor joist? What is the sub floor material? Is the load bearing wal 2x4, 2x6,..? Do you have trusses or rafters? Pitch of roof if rafters, what is the roof covering and how many layers?

"Would I also need additional supports in the basement (like lollicolumns or jacks) to deflect any weight coming from the upstairs? " Not knowing all the details, I would say Yes.

" One other question, is it possible that this wall already has a header above it since it is supporting a large portion of the upstairs and since it is a pretty large wall (20') in length?" Probably not with modern construction. The length of the wall is irrelevant, you could build a load bearing wall out of 2x4's 100' long to support a second story.
Give up some more info and some one may be able to help.

Old 03-02-09, 06:19 AM
Hire a structural engineer PERIOD.

Old 03-02-09, 07:23 PM
D
You could do what 2000 said. But then it wouldn't really be a DIY would it?

Old 03-02-09, 10:58 PM
D
Like desert eagle said a little more info needed first. What is the framing or supports under this specific area in the basement. Most homes that have load bearing walls will stack on top of each other as the floors go up. If there is a load bearing wall in the basement directly below this one then you will need to add more studs to the basement wall at the points of the ends of the header to be installed on the main floor. Then after that is done you will need to build 2 temporary walls either side of the wall to be torn open to support the floor above and make sure they are braced off nice and solid before you open the existing wall. Since the opening you are making is only 6' wide you should'nt need anything more than a double 2x10 header for the new opening.

Old 03-04-09, 03:36 PM
R
When was the structure built and where is it? ( your public info gave no indication). What size, material, and spacing are the 1st and second floor joist? What is the sub floor material? Is the load bearing wal 2x4, 2x6,..? Do you have trusses or rafters? Pitch of roof if rafters, what is the roof covering and how many layers?
The structure is about 10 years ols and im not sure if there are rafters in the attic or trusses. This my friends house and I was going to help him out by doing the work ourselves. The flooring is plywood and the walls are 2x4. The area is in central NJ and the roof covering is asphalt shingles 1 layer. Thanks for all the replies.D

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: