Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to "tube" media wiring thru studs properly?

04-02-07, 08:09 PM   #1  
How to "tube" media wiring thru studs properly?

Hi,

I'm planning to tube some media wiring horizontally using two 1" I.D. conduits thru 1 3/8" holes (39.2% of 2x4 stud). The holes will be 2" apart.

I'm also adding an outlet dead center above the fireplace, piggybacking source from a switch nearby.

I just want to make sure this is safe and by code.
1. Are the holes too close together?
2. I'm using PVC 1" elbows with 1" PVC conduits, is that ok?
3. What about heat from the fireplace flue? The metal vent has a frame around it and its inside its own "cavity".
4. Outlet position ok?

Please copy/paste url. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-03-07, 03:52 AM   #2  
Are you required to use conduit in your area, or are you using it for the ease of fishing future wiring for speakers,etc.?
1. Holes are fine.
2. 1" pvc conduit is fine.
3. Is the fireplace a prefab with triple wall flue, or a terracotta flue? If prefab, all is well.
4. Receptacle is ok, if that is where you want it. How will you mount the receptacle in relation to the conduit? Are you planning on attaching the conduit to the box? If not, why use conduit?

04-03-07, 05:08 AM   #3  
Yes, the conduit is strictly for low-voltage wiring (speakers, hdmi, component, etc). No 120v.

I think the fireplace a prefab. The cavity holds a 12"? metal venting/flue from the fireplace to the sky. Our exterior is vinyl all the way. House is built 1992. Although I'm not sure if its single wall, double wall or triple wall. How do I tell?

The receptacle will be boxed just like any other 120v outlet and independently positioned from the conduit.

I use the conduit for future-proofing my wiring. I'll simply fish my media wire thru the conduit instead of tearing down my drywall. Also I was told I should keep any power supply wires away from the media wires to avoid signal interference (not sure if thats true).

Thanks for the tips!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-03-07, 04:16 PM   #4  
It is triple wall. So you won't have any problem with heat in the area you will be working in. Yes, keep the 120 volt stuff away from your sound wires. Using the conduit is a good way of doing that and making it convenient for rewiring.

TN

04-04-07, 04:28 PM   #5  
Conduit

Just out of curiosity, how do you get the conduit into the studs? Is it flexible?

04-04-07, 06:54 PM   #6  
Posted By: Wirepuller38 Just out of curiosity, how do you get the conduit into the studs? Is it flexible?
I've not actually done it yet. I'm thinking of the gray pvc (its a little bit more flexible). Otherwise I'll cut up the white pvc and use couplings and glue them all up.
Theres also that blue flexible type that I saw at Home Depot. I'll check that out too.

Any better ideas?

FL

04-05-07, 06:33 AM   #7  
they have orange flex for low voltage , home depot and lowes both have it

Search this Thread