Flinch Plate assistance

Old 04-11-07, 11:14 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flinch Plate assistance

Hello, I am looking for some information on flinch plates.

Here's what I currently am looking to do:

In my basement, I have a support beam (3-2"x10"x14') which runs under the livingroom floor. No wall is installed over this. Just the floor joices sitting on it. Supporting this beam are two loli columns in the middle of the floor. What I want to do, i relocate the loli columns to the sides and basically replace them with 6x6 timbers. To do this, I either need to replace the support beam with an I-beam or use flich plates. The plates will definately be the easiest to work with (or so I think). I called a steel company and inquired about this and they asked me how thick and bolt spacing. Threw me a curve ball. Don't suppose anyone out and about round here can lend some assistance can they?

thx

Last edited by James0816; 04-11-07 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-11-07, 06:26 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This girder you want to resupport is a very significant structural member. You can't just move a lally column because you don't like it's location. Flitch plates are often used in girders but they have to be specifically engineered for the situation. To do this correctly you need to contact a structural engineer. He/she will determine the proper loads and size requirement in your home. You may not be aware of it but there is a footing under the slab that the lally columns are bearing on and moving them will require a new footing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: