steel plate between LVLs

Old 04-25-07, 02:51 AM
steel plate between LVLs

Hi I am replacing a load bearing wall and replacing it with 2 LVL beams with a steel plate sandwiched between them. I will carrige bolt everything together. Does the steel have to be welded together to make one long piece or can I make sure that each end of the pieces of steel are bolted through? I plan on bolting through the LVLs and steel every 8 inches. How much more strength does a piece of steel really add to a beam? The LVLs will be 11 3/4 by 16 feet long. How thick should be the steel plate be? Any info would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-07, 03:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can through bolt the ends of the steel plate where they intersect at top and bottom and it will provide support, but you may be overkilling the project. Have you considered using a Silent Floor (R) beam by Trus Joist? A single 11 7/8" beam will span in excess of your 16' requirements, and doubling this application for overkill will cost the same or less than the two pieces of LVL, not to mention the steel. Consider the weight of the steel as dead load, too. Just a thought to mull over.

Old 04-25-07, 07:01 AM
Who designed this for you that they did it in two pieces?

Old 04-25-07, 04:31 PM
Chandler thanks for the info. I would like to span 20 feet if at all possible. What ever I use for a beam I don;t want it to hang more than 12 inches below the ceiling height. But the beam can be as thick or as many layers as it takes. The beam will be supporting a bedroom and above that a 4 foot tall attic. Could please show me where to find info for the silent floor beem trus joist. Thanks again

Old 04-25-07, 05:34 PM
Matt,

Who designed this for you with a joint like that and the bolt pattern, and what size is this flitch plate? Can you answer that, or did you come up with this yourself?

20' is no joke.

Old 04-25-07, 09:17 PM
Group Moderator
This sounds like a job for an 8" tall steel I beam.

Old 04-26-07, 12:54 PM
Joe I haven't had anyone look at it yet. I don't know if the span is going to be 16, 18, or even 20feet. I am just trying to get some rough ideas before I go any further with this. Thanks

Old 04-29-07, 07:55 PM
BetterHeader.com

Check this website out. They have the exact product you are looking for, and perhaps the specs if you are looking to create your own. Regards.

Old 12-11-11, 10:41 AM
Flitch Plate

I have a 24 foot span on a pole barn that is sagging by 1 1/2 to 2 inches. The support in place is (2) 2 x 12 Glulams and a 2x12.

Beam is carrying 20 feet of 40 foot barn. Live load is 40 lbs/sf.

Any suggestions on size of flitch plate?