New Plywood subfloor over loft/plank flooring

Old 04-25-07, 07:16 AM
Question New Plywood subfloor over loft/plank flooring

The upstairs floor of our log home is 1-1/2" thick/6" wide pine T&G plank flooring which also serves as the ceiling on the first floor where the joists are exposed beams. I want to lay a new plywood subfloor atop the plank floor in my daughter's upstairs bedroom so that I can put down a laminate or carpeting(haven't decided which yet).

Since the floor planks are so thick does it matter if the plywood is secured over the joists/beams or can it be just secured directly into the planks at regular intervals?

Also, what should I use to secure the plywood and at what intervals? I've never put down a new subfloor of any kind before.

Thanks!

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-07, 10:30 AM
Is the Plywood Really necessary?

For carpeting, I see no reason why you need to put down a plywood subfloor. A good quality pad and carpet should be fine.

As far as the laminate goes, I would call or send an e-mail to the manufacturer explaining your current floor makeup.

Usually a plywood overlay is installed to either give a flat surface for the laminate or beef up the current subfloor to make it more stiff and reduce any bounce.

At 1 1/2", you current floor is certainly stiff enough. Unless the joints between the boards are uneven, I see no reason why you couldn't just put down the thin foam used as cushion/vb/noise deadener for the laminate floors and then install the laminate.

Again, I would go straight to the manufacturer with this issue. They all have web sites or 800 numbers.

Old 04-25-07, 11:10 AM
It was suggested in the carpet and laminate forums that I put down a layer of plywood to even out the floor.

Old 04-25-07, 12:03 PM
Well is it uneven?

Is your current finished floor uneven? You have never said if that is the case or not.

If it is uneven, then something should be done to even the surface. Perhaps easier to get it sanded. I can't believe these 6" planks would be that uneven where they butt together, but never having lived in a log home, I don't know how "rustic" the floor might be.

Price out a commercial sanding job vs. a plywood overlay. Make sure you figure in removing and replacing the baseboards since you will be adding floor height with the plywood and also cutting off closet/entry doors and door trim.

I think a quick sand would even everything out and eliminate all the extra work of putting in the layer of plywood.