Is the subfloor damaged?

Old 05-08-07, 06:48 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Is the subfloor damaged?

Hello!
This isn't exactly a do it yourself question, but I thought someone might be able to help us out!

We are considering purchasing a house but are concerned about the second story flooring. The floor seems to have slight dips/ uneven patches over an approximately 10-ft square area when you walk on it and there is a section where you can feel a linear edge of subflooring for 8 feet or more. Additionally, a very small portion of the floor gives slightly when stepped on. The owners replaced the carpet 1 year ago (new carpet is in great condition) and state that they have never noticed that the floor is uneven. Our realtor says he thinks the uneveness is caused by an incorrectly installed carpet pad. He also told us that the inspector couldn't look under the wall-to-wall carpet to let us know what the root of the problem is. His suggestion was to have the owners pay for an inspection by a carpet installer of our choosing, but I am not convinced that a carpet installer would be able to diagnose a subfloor problem.

We are particularly concerned about this issue because the house currently has polybutylene piping - so it seems likely to me that the uneveness of the floor reflects (potentially significant) water damage in the past. Do you think this sounds like a subfloor problem? Who would be best to inspect such a concern?

Thanks so much for your input!! We really appreciate it
-LW

Old 05-08-07, 08:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums

My first thought was a water damage problem

A carpet installer might be able to tell if the problem is from incorrect installation but I doubt he could rule out a sub floor problem. The spongy spot could be bad plywood or joist or simply not enough nails when installed. How long have the current owners been in the home?

Old 05-08-07, 11:33 AM
T
Red face

Thanks for the welcome and response To answer your question, the current owners have been there for 5 years. If we wanted to get the subfloor inspected, would it make sense to have a carpeting person come in to lift the carpet so the inspector could take a look underneath?

Old 05-08-07, 01:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm not a carpet layer but I wouldn't think it would be that big of deal to lift up the rug, inspect and restretch the carpet. Making an agreement as to who would pay for all that might be a big deal.

Old 05-08-07, 02:18 PM
T
Thanks! We will see what happens- if we go ahead with the offer, I'll re-post what we find under the carpet!
-LW

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: