Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Proper way to hang overhead storage from I-Joists

05-18-07, 07:53 AM   #1  
Proper way to hang overhead storage from I-Joists

Hi,
I would like to use the overhead storage system from Onrax. My garage ceiling is finished and uses I-Joists. There is also a bedroom above the garage. I am concerned about using lag screws as the web is not very thick and it will be more difficult to get the lag screw centered than if the joists were normal sized framing. I will probably need to support about 250 pounds at each corner of the storage rack. I have considered installing sleepers between two of the i-joists, at each corner, and then hanging the support bracket from the sleepers (probably will use 2x6) but would like to know if this is the correct way or is there an accepted practice for this. Thanks in advance for everyone's suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-19-07, 03:56 AM   #2  
How were you going to attach the "sleepers" to the I joists? You don't want to rely on nails to hold vertically, so you are back in the same boat having to use lag bolts into the bottom chord of the joist to hold the 2x6.
If you use 1/4" x 2" lag bolts and get them as centered as possible in the chord, you should be ok, since you will be installing two per bracket along the chord. Use a stud finder to find both edges of the joist and drill a 3/16 pilot.

05-19-07, 07:35 PM   #3  
Larry,
Thanks for your reply. I was considering attaching the sleepers to the web of the i-joist with lags through the web and into the ends of the sleeper. I would then attach the support bracked to the underside of the sleepers. Perhaps my term sleepers is incorrect.
Ray

Search this Thread