Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kitchen Floor - Concrete Slab

05-18-07, 11:56 AM   #1  
Kitchen Floor - Concrete Slab

I have an older house that has a 2' crawl space under the existing kitchen floor. I would like to remove the existing floor, backfill and pour a concrete slab for the new floor.

Question - what is the best compacting material to backfill with that is compatible with pouring concrete slab over.

Sponsored Links

OK

05-21-07, 08:23 AM   #2  
Pea gravel or river sand should work fine. More important than the material choice is proper compaction. Compact the native soil first, then cover with a 6"-8" layer of fill and compact thoroughly with power equipment. Repeat in layers until you reach desired depth for the pour.

I would also use both rebar and concrete mesh in the pour. The added cost for a kitchen sized area will not be great, and should make for better stability of the slab in the long run.

CANADA

05-21-07, 10:58 AM   #3  
...that's going to be a lotta concrete... 2' worth!!

06-06-07, 08:36 PM   #4  
There shouldn't be 2' of concrete if it is backfilled. I wouldn't use pea gravel, as round rock doesn't compact. What I would do is put a base down of 4" minus for the first foot or so, then go with 3/4" minus for the last 8", then 4" of concrete on top of that. Like aq_guy said, compaction is the KEY! Do it in layers. I also agree where he says re-enforce it. But you should check with your local building dept. and make sure this is in fact doable, and obtain all the req'd permits. I personally have never seen a kitchen floor done like this. The initial problem I see is what are you going to do about the joists that you cut out that run under another part of the house?

Search this Thread