Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Squaring-up an existing wall

05-22-07, 04:49 AM   #1  
Squaring-up an existing wall

I am remodeling my kitchen. One wall (10'-6" l) is "out of square" I have layed out a chalk line with a framing square and chalk line , but am not to confident about results any help is appreciated. GW

Sponsored Links

OK

05-22-07, 07:44 AM   #2  
Not sure what you are looking at, but...

The most reliable way to square up anything of substantial size, like a wall, is to measure the distance diagonally from opposite corners. When the two measurements are the same, the wall [or whatever] is laid out square.

Once the framing is square, the sheet material [plywood, OSB] is nailed down. This prevents the wall from racking out of square.

This method eliminates the problem of having to tell "by eye" how accurately a right angle corner is laid out.

TN

05-22-07, 09:32 AM   #3  
Square Corner

You can lay out a right triangle of 3-4-5 feet per side or 6-8-10 feet. This is another method of checking for a square corner in a room. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

05-24-07, 02:12 AM   #4  
Thanks for your help. I finally had to re-sheet rock the wall to get it square-up, a lot of work but it will fit now. Thanks again. GW

Search this Thread