Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cut Truss to Mount Attic Stairs?

05-28-07, 12:07 PM   #1  
Cut Truss to Mount Attic Stairs?

I have a small hole in the ceiling between two trusses to provide access to the attic. I would like to mount pull-down folding stairs instead. Unfortunately, if I were to use any space between two trusses, the stairs will not be able to unfold all the way to the floor.

My question is, can I cut a ceiling truss to provide room for the attic stairs to mount? What is the proper method to perform the cut in order to provide the proper support?

This is a ranch-style house with a long rectangular shape and the trusses and exterior walls provide all the support.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links

05-28-07, 01:24 PM   #2  
are they trusses, or was it stick built? This is a bit out of my realm, and I hope someone else chimes in also, but I was always under the impression to NEVER cut / modify trusses.

Group Moderator

WI

05-28-07, 01:40 PM   #3  
There probably is a way you can do this, but it would be wise to either have someone competent come to your house and look at it or at least post some pictures here (upload to a site like photobucket and post the link here).

Group Moderator

NE

05-28-07, 01:49 PM   #4  
As blakelpd5 mentions, the key is whether they are actually trusses, or whether you simply have rafters and ceiling joists. If you just have ceiling joists, you can probably cut one of them provided you can head it off to the ones on either side.

It sounds to me like you are saying the ceiling joists are on 16" centers, because if they were on 24" centers, I don't think there would be a problem.

If they are trusses, you should never cut into one without first consulting an engineer.

Search this Thread