Framing back porch

Old 06-02-07, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Framing back porch

I'm trying to enclose my screen porch that has an existing roof over it. It's only 6" deep and roof over it supported mostly by exterior house wall adjacent to the porch. However, it seems like outside porch wall takes some load as well. My question is, do I frame the porch as any new exterior wall and than drop the roof on it when it's in place? Do you think it would be easier to build wall on the ground and than put it in or should I build it in the opening?
I have an experience with interior walls and sometimes you have to shim them a bit to make sure they are waged against the ceiling/floor. I don't thing that's good idea for exterior wall. Is there any trick I should know?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-07, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
I'd frame it in place, adjusting the lengths of the studs to compensate for the existing unlevel condition of the porch and roof.

Old 06-02-07, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would do as Sleeper suggested. Build you wall in place, and cut to fit your lumber. Good Luck

Old 06-02-07, 01:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Out of my league, but...

I personally, would prefer a built in place wall. The reason for my choice is as you are building it, you can measure for each stud & if need be, vary the length a bit. Certainly building on the ground is easier but I think you'd have a better wall if built in place.

Old 06-02-07, 03:51 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Studs

A little trick I used on building a wall in place with varying length studs was to use a telescoping pole(such as you would attach to a paint roller to paint a high wall) to measure for the stud length. If you want them to fit tight, add 1/16 inch to the measured length.