Framing for a sliding glass door

Old 06-02-07, 04:56 PM
Framing for a sliding glass door

Hello - I have a closed in porch with windows on all 3 sides. As I am building a deck this summer, I would like to put a sliding glass door (60 inches wide) on one of the sides so I have access to the deck. Do do this, my plan is to replace 3 of the six windows on one side of the porch with the door. Each of the 6 windows is 2 foot wide. I pulled off the interior paneling to gain access to the framing and see that above all windows is a header (2 2X10s) running the full length of the 6 windows. In addition, in between each 2 windows, there are two studs (2X6s) "supporting" the header. I have "supporting" in quotes because I am not sure if they are bearing a load or not. At any rate, my question is, is the header made of 2 2X10s enough to allow me to move one of the sets of 2X6 studs over to allow the opening for the sliding glass door? In other words, I am trying to do the following:

=====================================
=====================================
||................||..........||.............................||
___4' opening___2' open_______60" opening

The two lines of equal signs represent the header (2 2X10s)
The || lines represent the two 2X6 studs

The 4' opening has 2 windows side by side (no studs in between)
The 2' opening represents one windows (studs on both sides as shown)
The 60" opening is for the sliding glass door.

Prior to these modifications, the framing looks like this:
====================================
====================================
||................||.................||....................||
___4' opening____4' opening______4' opening
With each 4' opening containing 2 windows.

So basically I want to move the middle right set of studs to the left about a foot. Will this work, or will my wall collapse because 60" is too large of a span for the header.

One last question - anyone have any recommendations on what type of sliding glass door to buy (or stay away from). I am considering Pella, Anderson, Crestline, Park-vue, and perhaps Marvin (which I believe is the most expensive).

Thanks,
Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-07, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
If the header is continuous, runs the entire width of the opening and does not have a seam in either of the 2x10's, then it is definately the appropriate size for a small 5' door. You would just need to add 2 trimmers under the header on each side of the door to stiffen the sidewalls and to provide a nailing surface for trim and siding. The door could go wherever you wanted it to be underneath that header.

Personally I'm partial to Pella doors as I have had good experience with them. Andersen doors are okay too, although my opinion of them is not as great. Marvin is right up there too, although I'm suprised you feel it is the most expensive- I always felt it was a bit below Pella and Andersen in price. I know nothing of Park-vue and I do not have a high opinion of anything with the words "crestline" on it. That's about all I will say, since bashing name brands is frowned upon here. We're not here to make enemies with anyone.

Old 06-03-07, 03:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One thing to consider is the height you are starting with. You said it was a porch. I don't know what type roof there is, so how much head space do you have now? If it is less than 7'6" you may have a difficult time installing a header then still have enough height for a slider.

Old 06-03-07, 06:20 AM
Group Moderator
Good point regarding the height, Chandler. Your existing header would need to be at least 80-82" from the floor in order to fit a door under it. (depending on the size of the door you intend to purchase) And the floor and header would both need to be level. Some porches have a bit of slope to them.

Old 06-03-07, 11:04 AM
Thank you both for your input. The heigh of the porch from the subfloor to the bottom of the header is 85", and the floor and header are level, so it sounds like I won't have any issues at all. And I defintely planned on putting 2 jack studs on either side of the door, so looks like I am all set. Now all I need to do is buy the door.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 06-04-07, 02:50 AM
Too bad you aren't in NW Florida, I'd sell ya the slider I just took out to install french doors (double pane low-e glass, 9 lite mullions, 82" height).

I agree with the others, that span should be no problem for a 2x10 header.