Sagging floor - add support?


Old 06-04-07, 02:04 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dracut, MA
Posts: 169
Sagging floor - add support?

First of all sorry, if this post is not in the right place.

I'm thinking about buying a house biult (wrong obviously) in 1940. The floors in th emiddle of the house are sagging - upon inspection of the basement we find there are temporary supports (5 of them) placed throughout the basement - apperently they were none or they rotted or something...

In any case, we love everythign selse about the house and am wondering what the code (for MA) for such a thing is and how much effort it is going to be to get the new support beams in. I assume I need to jack the floor up, poor a footting (can I do that on an existing cement floor?) add the steel pole's I have seen in so many basements and I'm good - right? It sounds waaaay to easy!

Will I ever get the floor to be level again? If not, once I get the proper supports under it can I just poor floor leveler/quick level on the floor and tile, carpet, etc.?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-07, 04:50 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,968
You will need to check with the local building code department to see if the use of adjustable lally columns is permissible or not. In Massachusetts, they may require you to dig 3' deep footings, pour them, and install concrete block piers. Not sure. If they say using the lally columns is OK, then all you will have to deal with is the footing, which a concrete floor may not give enough support.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes