Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Minimum Bottle Jack Size for Floor Jacking?

MO

06-11-07, 12:47 PM   #1  
Minimum Bottle Jack Size for Floor Jacking?

I've got to raise 3-4 floor joists in my bathroom to insure level subfloor for tiling. I'll be going a max of 1/2" most likely. Probably even less than that.

This is a one story house, and I'm intending to beam up 5 joists, raising the joists with a couple bottle jacks.

What would be the minimum ton size for the bottle jacks on something like this? Would 6-8 ton jacks be able to lift ok? Or would I need something far more substantial?

It doesn't seem like a huge amount of weight on the area I'm lifting, but I want to be safe.

Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links

06-28-07, 02:44 PM   #2  
My husband and I had to add in two rows of piers under our house and sister a massive number of beams - our house is a 1-story, 2,000 sqft.
we used 2 8-ton jacks and they worked just fine, we also used a 12-ton jack underneath the load-bearing walls, but for just a few beams under one floor I think two 6 or 8 ton jacks will be sufficient.

Bottle jacks are fairly inexpensive - we bought our two 8-tons from Pep boys for $30.00 each.'

We, also, found it helpful to use a 2x4 above the jack-plates, underneath the beams, to prevent the damaged beams from cracking while we lifted them to sister.

Search this Thread