Subfloor for tiling

Old 06-11-07, 04:31 PM
Subfloor for tiling

Remodeling master bathroom , after removing the old tiles figured out that the subfloor is 3/4 T&G plywood on 16 OC and in good shape , but since there is going to be new layout ( for bathtub,shower etc) I need access to underneath to install the new supply and drainage lines , so to remove the subfloor would be the only option for me , the walls are resting on the floor joists/subfloor (modern 'platform' style) . So my question is :

- how to remove the subfloor flush with the walls ?
- when installing the new subfloor , the edge which goes parallel to the joists and meets the walls at the place of cutting would not be sitting on the joist , how it is supposed to be supported ?
Thank You .

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-07, 05:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Use a reciprocating saw to cut the subflooring flush to the joisting, skipping over the joists with a shallow cut. Once the subflooring is removed, install sister lumber (2x8, etc) along the edges and in between the joists for that matter where there is no support. Secure it well so as to prevent any "give" in the subflooring once it is reinstalled. If you are installing tile, be sure to add at least 1/4" concrete backer underlayment over your subflooring, using the appropriate screws in the pattern prescribed by the manufacturer.

Old 06-11-07, 07:37 PM
Thank You , Chandler , as far as I'm going to use Ditra then concrete backer underlayment would be needed ?

Old 06-12-07, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Nope, the Ditra is a complete system in itself, so the cbu wouldn't be necessary. Good luck with the project.