Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

eliminating floor movement

06-12-07, 02:44 PM   #1  
eliminating floor movement

I own a 2 story colonial that is approx. 1.5 years old and I have noticed that there is floor movement when people are walking across a room on the first floor. My first floor is constructed of #2 spruce 2"x10" placed 16" on center and span about 13.5 feet. there is solid blocking at mid span and the floor decking is 3/4" T&G glued and nailed. The floor has 1/2" PEX radiant tubing installed perpendicular to the joist spaced approx. 24" on center and about 3" down from the top of the joist. There is 3.5" fiberglass insulation stapled to the bottom of the joist.
I would like to know if I attach 3/4" plywood with screws perpendicular to the bottom of the joist if this will stop the noticeable floor movement?
Thank you
Steve

Sponsored Links

06-15-07, 03:23 PM   #2  
I guess nobody wants to touch this question with a 10' pole! I guess the lumber in new homes does not compare to yester-years. They should make the codes more stringent for today's rubber-band lumber!

Search this Thread