framing for attic fan

Old 06-15-07, 07:01 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
framing for attic fan

Hi all,

I'm gonna install an attic fan this weekend. I bought a fan that basically flush mounts to the studs around a gable vent, that is, it doesn't sit BETWEEN the studs... it sits on the interior face.

The problem is, that there is a stud directly in the center of the gable, running from the direct center of the peak, down. I figured I would just frame the are like I would if i was installing a window. cut out that one section of that stud, pop in a header and run supports down the inside, under the header ends.

My questions...
1- Should I even bother? seeing as its a flush mount fan, the one stud will just sit in the center of it. I don't think the width of the stud will compromise air flow that much right?

2 - if I do frame it out, do I need to support the one stud before I cut the section, or will it be fine for the 20 min's it'll take to get the header in?

3 - 2x? for the header? can I get away with 2x6, doubled up?

4 - Can I just run the supports from the ends of the header down to the base of the wall (as if I was framing a door), or do I have to use a sill, as if I was framing a window? If I do it window style, do I need to run supports from below the sill, to the base as well as from the header to the sill?

Hope that wasn't too confusing. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
-BK

Old 06-15-07, 09:27 AM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That 2x in the center of the gable is holding up the ridge peak. I say why bother it? Leave it alone.

I'd just frame out the rest of the gable vent so 1) there is something to mount the fan to, and 2) your making the fan blow everything out the gable vent and not leak back to the attic.

When I put one of these fans up, I mounted the fan to a piece of plywood with a hole cut in it and then mounted the plywood to the framing. Worked well.

Old 06-15-07, 11:40 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, that WOULD make things a bit easier.

Thanks!
-BK

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: