Ceramic Tile Subfloor

Old 06-15-07, 04:20 PM
Ceramic Tile Subfloor

Hi Guys,

I read in a few of the posts that the subfloor should be 3/4" T&G plywood, However, I believe my current floor is 1/2" plywood. This is an upstairs bathroom. I'd like to put the 3/4" plywood, but How do I level off the areas where I cannot replace 1/2" with 3/4" plywood -- i.e. small area under the vanity cabinets or near the walls?

Additionally, should I use nails or screws? Do I need the air compressor nail gun or should I just use a good old hammer if I have to use nails? Any particular kind of nails -- galvanized roofing nails ok?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-07, 03:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When replacing subflooring it is best to remove everything possible including vanities and toilets, and reset them on the new flooring. This way you will have a level playing field to work in and start from.
Are you planning on installing ceramic tile? If so, you may be able to use your existing subflooring with 1/2" concrete backer underlayment, screwed every 6" across a grid using cbu screws. I wouldn't nail it, although it is allowed. Just a personal preference. Remember if you tile it, you will be raising your floor the 1/2" of the cbu and another 1/2" or so with the tile, so plan on your transition to the hallway beforehand.

Old 06-16-07, 09:32 PM
Hi Chandler,

Yes I am going to install ceramic tile. After a closer inspection, the plywood is actually 5/8". If I can get away with repairing the damaged area and continuing.. that would be a better way to go for me.

Since I can see the floor isn't quite level (peaks and valleys). I will probably use some sort of SLC on the subfloor.

In this case should I pour the SLC over the entire floor and forget the wonder board or should I use both?