Creaking hardwood floor

Old 06-22-07, 12:32 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Creaking hardwood floor

Last year, I ripped out the carpet on my second floor. A contractor came and installed hardwood flooring. I pointed out certain areas that creaked and was assured they will be nailed down before the new flooring is installed.

Everything was fine for a while and then the noise came back. Now, most of the second floor creaks when I walk around.

The contractor initially told me the humidity in the house was too low (this was in winter) but installing a humidifier in the furnce didn't help. It's now summer and things haven't changed. In fact it has gotten worse.

I've been told nothing ca be done now that the flooring is in place. Does anyone here have other ideas how to nail the planks down?

Old 06-24-07, 03:55 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
More than likely it's the plywood running across the floor joists that's doing the creaking. Generally to stop the problem they get screwed down rather than nailed, or you just end up with the same problem after the floor has been walked on for a while and the nails loosen up due to humidity changes.

Depending on how the floor was laid you can try to pull up a couple of planks and drive some screws into the joists. Depending on how bad the creaking is it might just be better to leave well enough alone. There's really not an easy way to fix this that I know of...sorry.

Good luck!
Jared

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: