Temporary floor installation

Old 06-27-07, 09:57 AM
Temporary floor installation

Hi. A 4'x4' section of my basement tile floor has collapsed, apparently because the center beam has rotted underneath it. I am thinking about installing a raised floor above the old floor until I can get a contractor to relevel the house and make the major repairs necessary.

The tile in the center of the room has collapsed, but there's at least a 3' perimiter that feels solid. It's a 10'x10' space.

What is the best way to do this? Where should I start? Are those temporary floors that are used at events for dance floors, gyms, etc, a good idea?

What would be the most cost effective way to handle this?

Thanks a lot for your help.

MarineO4

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-07, 03:31 PM
Here is a good question for you. Are you sure you don't have a cisterian where this collapsed. A cisterian is where they used to collect the drinking water in the old days. Later they were filled and concrete poured over them. It is the 4x4 dimension that calls this to my attention. some are a little bigger. If this is the cause, the concrete will have to be broken out, the hole refilled and packed and concrete repoured over it. This is not that uncommon of a problem. This may not be the cause, but it looks very suspicious. Have a good day.

Old 06-27-07, 07:09 PM
Re: Cisternian

Thanks for the tip. That could be, as this is an old carriage house in NYC. But other things point to a bigger problem. While the 4x4 area is the worst, there are also tiles sinking in other parts of the room, especially in a hallway leading directly to the spot that goes to an outside door. It's right in line with the big hole. Also, the shower in the bathroom right next to this room appears to have sunk, as the drain pipe is sticking out of the bottom of the shower. This bathroom is in the corner of the building.

I've been looking at the interlocking tiles as a temporary solution. If I use that, what should I put down as the subfloor over the existing tile? Should that subfloor go directly on the existing floor, or should I fill in the holes and depression or build some sort of framework over the existing floor to take pressure off the tile?

Does anyone have any experience with these temporary interlocking tiles?

I really appreciate the help.