foundation problems galore!!

Old 07-08-07, 07:08 PM
Question foundation problems galore!!

Good day everyone!
I hope ya all got your thinking caps on. Here goes. My mom lives in NE Louisiana and lives in a 100+year old wooden frame house with Peir?and beam foundation. I live far away but am trying to help her with this as finances are low in both places. I was visiting this weekend to assess the damage and found severly cracked joists and a few cracked beams with 1 of the beams cracked to where both sides are touching the ground. First, what do I do about these. I have read through 25+pages on foundations but seems the wording is over my head or steps not stated simply enough. I know what sistering the joists are but am confused about what length to sister or whatever. How does one level these sisters? How does one fix a cracked beam? Also, her fridge now leans one way, several spots in flooring give greatly, her commode is leaning, and what to do about that. Good grief I am 1 confused, but willing to do the work, fella. I want to help my mom out!!!!!! Please give me some needed advise here.
Thanks and everyone have a great evening.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-07, 01:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Unfortunately you can or have seen what we can't, so we will be working blind. Is it a shotgun house? Meaning can you see the back door by opening the front door? These houses are quite prevalent in Louisiana, but maybe not up north.
If it is a shotgun, you will probably have one main beam running the length of the house with the joists attached to it and running to either side.
The best way to sister joists is to jack up the offending joist until it is slightly higher than the rim, bolt a sister to it with carriage bolts, using at least a 4 or 6' sister, and sitting the doubled joist into a double joist hanger which will be attached to the rim. Now, expect sheetrock or possibly plaster damage by jacking up the house (if it already hasn't become damaged by the settling).
Warning: you are entering a world few people see, and it is a dangerous place, so use extreme caution when jacking the joists, and do it a little at a time, even if it takes days to bring them into proper alignment.
And watch out for snakes, too.

Old 07-11-07, 04:26 PM
Question still leaning chandler

R U trying to tell me that if I fix the cracked beams and joists {by some miracle}
that the refridgerator, hot water heater, and commode will all straighten up?
I am not trying to be a smart you know what just trying to understand. Isn't there some sort of plywood between the joists/beams and floor of house if that makes sense. I told you I really don't know dip about this stuff, just trying to help my mom who cannot afford PROFESSIONAL help. I read some stuff at another website the leaning appliances needed a new piece of plywood or whatever flooring on top of the joists/beams or whatever.
THanks for your time and efforts in trying to help me out!!

Old 07-11-07, 04:59 PM
Am I missing something here?

I am so sorry but I do not see where your reply says anything about leaning appliances or what can fix this. This is also not a SHOTGUN house as beams and joists are running everywhere as I see it. I also can't see sistering a cracked beam as these seem to be 8X8s. Thanks for the great info on the cracked joists though-----I will definately utilize this.

Old 07-11-07, 07:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The appliances are leaning because the joisting has either settled or they are broken away from their mooring points. The subflooring will follow the joists. And the appliances will follow the flooring. Adding a layer of plywood on top of the existing plywood is only building on a problem, not stopping the cause. Now, if the subflooring is bad between the joists, then, yes the subflooring will need replacing, but it is highly likely, since most appliances are at least 30" wide and would span two joists.
If you have 8x8 cracked beams, they will need to be replaced with a manufactured beam, but the joists are definitely repairable.

Search this Thread