Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

leaning leaning

07-10-07, 12:38 PM   #1  
leaning leaning

My mom's old house, wooden/concrete pier and beam foundation, has a fridge, a hot water heater, a dryer, and a commode that is leaning to one side. I know I have to sister some cracked joists and beams, but do is this or may this be a subfloor problem also. If so, how do I know for sure? Is the subfloor the part of the floor directly underneath these items? How do I fix it? What materials do I need as in what size lag screw, bolts, or whatever. Plywood or treated wood?
Also, when "sistering" joists does one use lag bolts, lag screws or what?

THanks for any and all information!!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-10-07, 02:29 PM   #2  
Check the answer under your original post entitled "foundation problems galore".

07-14-07, 12:19 PM   #3  
Posted By: prayerhelps My mom's old house, wooden/concrete pier and beam foundation, has a fridge, a hot water heater, a dryer, and a commode that is leaning to one side. I know I have to sister some cracked joists and beams, but do is this or may this be a subfloor problem also. If so, how do I know for sure? Is the subfloor the part of the floor directly underneath these items? How do I fix it? What materials do I need as in what size lag screw, bolts, or whatever. Plywood or treated wood?
Also, when "sistering" joists does one use lag bolts, lag screws or what?

THanks for any and all information!!
You did`nt mention which way everything is leaning, and is there one main beam beneath the floor joists running the length of the house or are there others also . What ever you have for beams you will have to check the straightness of the bottom of it, attach a small scrap of 2x4 on each end of the bottom of the beam and tie a string taught across from one to the other ,and use a 3rd small 2x4 for a gage between the beam and the string.Other wise if that beam is straight and the house leans along the outside wall then you could be looking at sill problems.I recommend not trying to fix this on your on because you could actually make matters worse not having the proper experience,which may cost you more in the long run
Bigjax

Search this Thread