Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

screws instead of nails?

07-14-07, 01:46 PM   #1  
screws instead of nails?

Is it o.k. to use 2-1/2" or 3" drywall screws in places where there's not enough room to swing a hammer? I'm building a lighting soffet for the Master bedroom which will be attached directly to the framing studs. I'm trying to avoid breaking down and buying a nailing gun since I wouldn't be using it much.

Sponsored Links

SD

07-14-07, 03:36 PM   #2  
Yes, screws are fine, but I would not use sheetrock screws. Use the gold screws. They are stronger and will go in better. Good Luck

07-15-07, 07:11 AM   #3  
Someone had almost our whole basement together with drywall screws! Now I'm in the process of ripping it all out. Wood screws are for wood. All our floors were done drywall screws too... you wouldn't believe how squeaky everything is.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

07-16-07, 03:04 AM   #4  
I agree with others, no drywall screws. The heads are not strong enough and will break. I use 3" deck screws if I need extra holding power. My experience with gold screw is that the heads strip out easily, deck screws are designed to be strong. Sometimes you have to predrill some holes.

However, screwing your framing project will take a lot of time, you can rent an airgun and blast through the project in no time. Plus, they are a lot of fun to use if you enjoy that feeling of power (just be careful and follow all safety precautions).

SD

07-16-07, 04:34 AM   #5  
If the gold screws you use have the heads strip out easily it is because your using the wrong headed screw. I only use the star head and have for years. Once in awhile I will use a square head.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-16-07, 02:47 PM   #6  
I agree with Jack, the torx headed screws are the greatest! They will absolutely not strip out, and you get a new bit with each box you buy. Square drive are second best.

07-17-07, 02:30 PM   #7  
Thanks for the replies regarding the screws.

Now I'm wondering how to attach the soffet, which will be approx. 18" deep, 18" high and 10' long. I'd like to attach it along one wall (from a corner) and the ceiling. Problem is the ceiling (12' high) is the same as the roof, i.e. 2x6 tongue & groove. The roofing is put right on the outside (exposed side) of the decking, while the inside (ceiling) is nicely stained and looks good exposed -- it was never finished with drywall, suspension or other type of finish.

Can I nail (or screw) 2x4's into the ceiling to hang the soffet? I'm concerned if someone later replaces the roof and decides to replace one or more 2x6 decking planks and ends up tearing out the soffet beneath. (The ceiling/roof planks run parallel to the soffet).

Thnx

Search this Thread