Framing Wall

Old 07-16-07, 03:16 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Framing Wall

hi everyone,

just built a partition wall and everything went pretty smooth. But noticed when I look down the 2 x 4 studs that a couple of them bow out slightly at the very most 1/4", midway through where the blocking is ...I don't frame walls everyday, this normal? thought I had found somewhat straight wood at Home Depot. Everything else is square and level

My wife says you wont notice anything once the drywall is up, but thought Id check with the pros. Figure if it isnt normal, then itd be alot easier to fix now.

Am I being too picky or making a mountain out of this?

Thanks in advance, Paul

Old 07-16-07, 05:58 PM
It sounds to me like you have a couple of warped 2x4's. If you sheetrock them, you will have a bow in your sheetrock. I guess its up to you. It would be really easy to pop those bowed ones out, and replace them. Good Luck

Old 07-16-07, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Framing lumber is seldom perfectly straight, and can warp with changes in humidity. When framing, some carpenters will have a laborer eyeball all the studs and mark which side the bow is facing. Then when the wall is framed, all bowed studs are turned the same direction, so that you don't have one bowing one way, one bowing the other way, making the bow appear twice as bad.

I agree with Jack that it's really easy at this point to either replace them, or turn them around (if that's the problem). If there isn't going to be anything on the wall but a bed or a couch, then it probably isn't a big deal.

If you're putting bar cabinets or something along there, then you would probably want the wall to be framed as straight as possible.

Old 07-17-07, 07:15 AM
C
Xsleeper, Jack.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I think I will replace the bad studs while it's easier instead of "I should have..."
later on. Rather have it the right way!

Thanks again!

Paul

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: