18" of load bearing wall

Old 07-18-07, 02:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
18" of load bearing wall

This forum has already been so much help to me in my home improvement endeavors, I'm hoping someone out there can help me with this next bump in the road. I want to increase the current opening in a bearing wall by 18 INCHES.

My house is a one story ranch, on slab, with cinderblock walls. About 20 years ago, an addition was made to my home. As a result of that addition there is now a 16 FOOT wide opening in what used to be the exterior wall of the house. There is a triple 2x4 supporting what I "thought" was a beam at the beginning of the span then another triple 2x4 support encased in a dividing wall 12' into the span. On the other side of that dividing wall the opening continues for another 4' before terminating into the original block wall.

Upon removing the drywall from a portion of the opening to see how the "beam" was supported, I discovered that the "beam" is actually the uppermost course of block from the original wall. There is no lintel supporting that course, just pressure treated 1x4s attached to each side of the course of cinderblock. Where the opening terminates, two 2x4s are wedged between the slab and that upper course of block with the 1x4 "straps". This whole shebang was then drywalled over.

To remodel my bathroom, I need to increase the 4' side of this opening by a mere 18". Does anyone see a problem with removing 18 inches of block and extending the support system that is already in place? I know this job was permitted - and it hasn't sagged a bit - so I suppose the current support system is adequate, though it looks funny to me.

Do you have a better idea for supporting this modification? Or should I just dash my hopes of a larger shower and put the drywall back up? I'd love the thoughts of some of you professionals who may have dealt with this sort of thing before and would be happy to provide any additional information you might need to offer an opinion.

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-19-07, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You may have a manufactured lintel course of block installed over the 16' opening. It is a steel beam imbedded in concrete made to look like concrete block. There would be no way for it to remain stationary without some sort of support over that span. Most likely when this remodel was done, this lintel course was installed to support what was above it. You will need to have someone look at it, preferrably an engineer, to determine the total length of the lintel (to actually verify it even exists), and to see if extending the opening would go past the end of the lintel, where all bets are off unless it is all replaced.

Old 07-21-07, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chandler - thanks for the response. I had not been aware of this product. However after reading some information on the use of lintel blocks and looking at the opening further, it does appear likely that lintel block was used. Certainly solves the mystery of the course of block suspended magically in mid-air.

Unfortunately, widening my shower opening by 18" is starting to look like an expensive proposition.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: