Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Wall framing question between attic and living space

Old 07-30-07, 06:24 PM

I'm currently finishing the bonus room in my attic. The bonus room was stick built with 2x10 rafters while the attic space was trussed with 2x4 top chords. Obviously there will be a wall between the attic and living space. The wall is between the 2x10 rafter and the 2x4 truss top chord. I'm not sure how to connect the wall at the top. Normally, if the wall were between two 2x10's, I would create a "ladder" by using 2x4's framed horizontally between the 2x10's and nail the top plate of the wall to the 2x4's. The problem with doing this here is that this is the last insulated cavity between the attic and bonus room. If I create the ladder in this situation, the insulation above the top of the wall will lay on top of the 2x4's creating a gap between the 2x4's that will allow air to pass through from the attic. Any thoughts on how to handle this situation? Hopefully I've described this well enough to understand what's going on. If not, I'll try again.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-07, 07:27 PM
bonus room

while i must admit im a bit vague on understanding what you are describing, I was just wondering if an expanding foam type insulting product might help. just a thought,,,good luck to you.

Old 08-05-07, 01:37 AM
Overfill and the insulation will expand and gravity will carry the insulation so that there will not be a conduit.

Old 08-17-07, 02:15 PM
Framing issue

Originally Posted by gossamer View Post
I'm currently finishing the bonus room in my attic. The bonus room was stick built with 2x10 rafters while the attic space was trussed with 2x4 top chords. Obviously there will be a wall between the attic and living space. The wall is between the 2x10 rafter and the 2x4 truss top chord. I'm not sure how to connect the wall at the top. Normally, if the wall were between two 2x10's, I would create a "ladder" by using 2x4's framed horizontally between the 2x10's and nail the top plate of the wall to the 2x4's. The problem with doing this here is that this is the last insulated cavity between the attic and bonus room. If I create the ladder in this situation, the insulation above the top of the wall will lay on top of the 2x4's creating a gap between the 2x4's that will allow air to pass through from the attic. Any thoughts on how to handle this situation? Hopefully I've described this well enough to understand what's going on. If not, I'll try again.
What is the center of the trusses; 24 inches? What is the center of the stack: 16 inches? Straight edge over the stack to the truss at the peak and at the lowest point you can reach down by the plate; then snap a line up the truss that represents the living space ceiling line. Next, measure up 1 1/2 inches above that line, snap and nail a ledger rafter to that line and above on the truss.Next, create a block ladder on about a 3 foot center from bottom to top. Your blocks will be 1 1/2 inches above the bottom of the stacked rafters. Next snap out your frame and transfer the line to the ladder blocks. Next run full length backing plate that will carry the sheetrock at the new ceiling. Note; use a 2X6 if your wall is a 2x4 so you have the ceiling backing.When that is nailed in, re-transfer the frame line from the floor to the backing 2x6. This is your new inside wall line at the ceiling. Frame your wall and stand it.Do the same to the other side. When finished, there should be ample room for insulation and ventilation above.You may want to consider using 5/8 sheetrock for wall and ceiling for fire stop, depending on your situation.? Best of, OB