Subfloor for hardwood floor

Old 08-13-07, 06:03 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Subfloor for hardwood floor

I am replacing some floors on my second story. I currently have a tonge and grove subfloor (pine I think). I would like to install a tonge and grove hardwood floor, running in the same direction as the subfloor. The subfloor seems to be in decent condition, with only a few patches needed. Should I remove the existing subfloor and put down a new plywood subfloor, or can I install the new floor on top of the exisiting subfloor?

Thanks, Brian

Old 08-13-07, 06:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Brian: Welcome to the forums! Ideally you would want to run the flooring opposite the grain of your plank subflooring, but since that option isn't good, you will need to add some strength to the planking. Is removing that subflooring out of the question? If not, then you could install Advantech tongue and groove subflooring in 3/4 inch, then your roofing felt and hardwood flooring.

Old 08-20-07, 04:27 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. Ripping out the subfloor is an option, just not sure how easy it would be. Could I put a layer of plywood on top of the existing floor, and what minium thickness should I use? I am a little concerned about the added thickness, but I think I could live with that. In either case, there is a slant to the floor, which wouldn't bother me except it is right in front of the door. What is the best way to try to level it out?

Brian

Old 08-21-07, 03:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Brian, correctly remedying the slope is a structural thing, not just leveling. Obviously your foundation has slipped a little causing the slope. Raising the floor would require jacking up the house and shimming the entire rim joist and all supports between. Big job.
As far as your adding to your subflooring, you could use 1/2" BC plywood, but be aware of the ultimate additional 1/2" rise in the floor, and what you will do with it. Quite often flooring manufacturers produce transition pieces that make it more palatable. Let us know how it goes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: