Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

floor framing for mudroom

08-21-07, 09:39 AM   #1  
floor framing for mudroom

I have an interior mudroom (approximately 3.5' X 4.5') that steps down from my kitchen. I assume the floor is a concrete slab (covered with linoleum) and the walls do not sit on the foundation, since it is about 2 feet lower than the rest of the house. There was a door that led outside, but has since been enclosed so the deck could be extended. I want to make this a pantry with the floor level with the existing kitchen. What do I need to do in terms of framing/support to "raise" the floor? What kind of "interior" structure do I need to build to support joists? Could it be attached to existing walls? I would assume not.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

08-21-07, 02:28 PM   #2  
I am assuming your walls are sitting on the concrete floor. One thing to consider is when you raise your floor, will you hit your head on the ceiling? Quite often these rooms are dropped down in order to facilitate a sloped roof line. If you have the headroom, then I would strip the room down, attach a 2x8 ledger board all the way around the room allowing for height of subflooring and eventual flooring material (linoleum, carpet, ceramic tile, hardwood). Then attach joist hangers at 16"on center along the long wall, and place 2x6 or 2x8 joists in them, and attach them to the hangers. Then it will be a matter of installing 3/4" subflooring and whatever you want for floor covering. If there are any electrical services in this room you will have to contend with moving them prior to starting.

08-24-07, 10:50 AM   #3  
Thanks very much for the reply Larry. Ledger to wall studs, huh? Okay, I guess that makes sense and perhaps maybe a little too obvious. I always seem to think of things in the most difficult way possible. There won't be any problem headroom-wise. However, the sheetrock is already up in the opening that used to be the door that led outside. I'd hate to remove it. I guess I'll just have to find the studs when I hang the ledger.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

08-24-07, 01:45 PM   #4  
Nope, cut the sheetrock away where the ledger will go. You want wood against wood, not sheetrock. Even if you cut an inch or so too high, you will be covering the area with subflooring, flooring and base molding. You can surely see the studs then. Post back if you need further help.

Search this Thread