Replace plank decking?

Old 08-31-07, 10:20 AM
Replace plank decking?

I need to re-wire the small bungalow we're moving into, and the best way to get to the ceiling wiring for the ground floor is to lift the diagonal plank decking in the attic. I'm going to need to lift a LOT of it, so I'm wondering if it would be simpler to just run around the edge of the hip walls and end walls with a circular saw and remove it all.

After I'm done with the re-wiring and the vent work for the attic, I'd replace the deck with T&G 3/4 ply and maybe another 1/2 ply subfloor before finishing the rest of the attic and laying carpet.

Some of the other posts in this section suggest I'll need to block the edges of the ply next to the hip walls where it spans the joists, and sister in a 2x4 to support it at the ends.

Anything seriously wrong with this idea? Anything else I should know about?

Thanks!

Mike D.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-07, 05:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mike, nothing wrong with the idea, but you will have to block around all the cuts so the flooring will have something to rest on. In addition have you figured out how you will get the t&g plywood in the attic? You may want to consider removing the nails from the boards you have, stacking them to one side and reuse them on the floor after you get through with the wiring, etc.

Old 08-31-07, 06:49 PM
Hi Larry,

You ask:
"...have you figured out how you will get the t&g plywood in the attic?"

<LOL> I guess my definition of a bungalow might be a little off? It's an unfinished attic with a full size stairway. No problem carting sheets of ply and drywall up the stairs. I'll be finishing the attic after the rewiring and other work.

"You may want to consider removing the nails from the boards you have, stacking them to one side and reuse them...

That is the other option. If I want to avoid blocking to support the ends of these boards, I'd have to cut each off along the center of a joist as near as possible to the hip walls. I've already done that for some areas I've been digging into. It's a lot of fiddling with odd lengths of board with their ends cut at an angle. <sigh>

Can you describe to me the blocking needed to span 16" on center joists to support the edge of 3/4 plywood (and the remnant of 3/4 plank decking under the hip wall sill)? Size of lumber? Positioned how? Fasteners?

I'm trying to visualize some fairly simple way to do this. I can afford to be less efficient than a pro would have to be, but it still has to be sound when it's done.

Mike D.