Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

sub floor for new Tile in kitchen

NJ

09-11-07, 08:56 AM   #1  
sub floor for new Tile in kitchen

In the process of tiling our kitchen floor and I have ripped out the old hardwood and linoleum down to the original 3/4 in plank sub floor. I have been told I need 2 layers of 3/4 in sub floor for a secure base for the 12x12 tiles. So the original sub floor is one 3/4 in layer (I had already purchased 1/4 in cement backer board which I would like to not have to take back.) So my question is, would I be able to get away with 1/2 in plywood 1st then the 1/4 in backer board? or am I better off getting 3/4 in plywood and returning the cement backer board? Also I have heard that particle board would be cheaper and more rigid but that it should not be used where there's the possibility of moisture... does a kitchen application mean particle board is out of the question?

Sponsored Links

CT

09-11-07, 11:57 AM   #2  
Maybe one of the tile guys can give a better answer, but I've done tile floors in a couple of kitchens and several bathrooms and the floor has always been 1/2" subfloor with 3/4" underlayment over which I've put 1/4" backer board. I've never had a problem with this.

However, I've always used plywood and not plank. I may be wrong, but I think plank (is it T&G) may have enough movement to give you problems down the line.

Search this Thread