Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2x12 Load Question

09-14-07, 05:23 PM   #1  
2x12 Load Question

I have a room which was built onto an existing deck. I am installing a gas fireplace with a stone veneer hearth from floor to ceiling. The base of the hearth will be approx. 2' x 6' or 12 sq. ft. tapering as it goes up. I estimate the total weight will be approx. 1700lbs when finished. The structure is built with 2x12 16"oc joists connected to the house and a double 2x12 box sitting on 6x6 posts 7' apart, no cantelever 14' span. The hearth will be installed on the outside wall which is on the end of the deck sitting on the double 2x12. I also added 2 double 2x6 beams running perp. to the joists and sitting on their own 4x4 posts & footings, each about 30" in from the end of the deck and the house. Do you think I will be ok with the load?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-02-07, 05:07 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! Sorry it took so long to answer. It seems you have all the bases covered, and the weight of the fireplace shouldn't pose a problem with the support you have. Since the outer wall will carry the majority of the weight, and you have installed additional vertical support, you look good to go. Post a pix of the project when you are through. We like to see finished projects as well.

Search this Thread