Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pressure Treated Wood CCA vs ACQ

GA

09-22-07, 07:36 AM   #1  
Pressure Treated Wood CCA vs ACQ

Home Depot in Atlanta is now selling ACQ (Alkaline Copper Quaternary) for pressure treated wood instead of CCA (Chromated Copper Arsenate). Brand name is ProWood Micro. http://www.ufpi.com/product/pwmicro/index.htm

I've read the sales brochure on the ACQ. There is definitely a different look (more like natural wood instead of the greenish look of CCA).

Lowes still carries CCA.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions of ACQ vs CCA? Pro's? Cons?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-22-07, 06:23 PM   #2  
ACQ has replaced CCA due to the leaching effect into the ground. The cupric arsenate was a systemic poison, when ingested could cause internal problems such as death. I'm not really sure the paraquat used in ACQ is any better, but we need a product that will withstand ground contact and weather well. We just can't legislate stupid stuff, like eating wood. ACQ requires the use of hot dipped galvanized or stainless fasteners and bracketing, so be aware of that.

SD

09-23-07, 07:19 AM   #3  
Chandler is correct, however I will note one new item. They now say that you must use double hot dipped galvanized nails. A box runs about $50.00. These are #16 sinkers. The same nail in stainless steel is $300 a box for 10,000. You cannot buy just a sack full of any of these. Using the wrong nail will result in the nail being eated in half from the chemicals. I use this stuff everyday. Good Luck

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-23-07, 06:26 PM   #4  
Didn't know they were "double" dipped. But they are marked "approved" for use with ACQ. Good to know.

GA

09-24-07, 04:06 PM   #5  
ACQ Deck Screws

Thanks for the feedback. Great info.

You mentioned double hot dipped galvanized nails. What kind of deck screws do I need to buy to use with ACQ?

Robert

Group Moderator

NE

09-24-07, 06:21 PM   #6  
Like Chandler mentioned, look for ones that "are marked "approved" for use with ACQ."

GRK makes torx screws that have a ceramic sort of coating that are approved and I believe there are other knock-off brands out there that are similar.

Search this Thread