Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Advice needed on floor bounce

OR

09-28-07, 09:14 AM   #1  
Advice needed on floor bounce

Hi folks,
I have a split level house. The main floor is a great room with a kitchen. When I walk through certain areas of the great room, I get a pretty significant bounce. I finally poked my head into the crawlspace under the great room yesterday -- to find the joists were between 3-4 feet apart from one another, with concrete piers holding the floor up.

What's the best way for a flooring novice to decrease the bounce in this situation. I had read about sistering, but that doesn't seem like it would be sufficient with such a large gap between the joists. I'm not terribly excited about the idea of pouring a few new piers and adding joists, but if that's the best option I will do it. Would running a 2x10 or 2x12 between the joists using hangers help reduce the bounce?

Thanks in advance,
Brennan

Sponsored Links

SD

09-28-07, 06:54 PM   #2  
Your floor joists should be 24" apart at the maximum. I build mine 16" on center as a rule, and many are 12" on center. All of my floor joists are 2x12's.

Group Moderator

WI

09-28-07, 07:02 PM   #3  
I would definitely add more structure under there.

Search this Thread