Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Venting for space under subfloor

GA

09-30-07, 08:31 PM   #1  
Venting for space under subfloor

I'm building a 24' x 25' woodworking shop in my basement. I sealed the concrete floor with Sunnydry waterproof. I then installed 2" x 2" PT furring strips 16" apart the width of the shop. Ran electrical wiring for floor outlets. Installed 3/4" T&G Sturdifloor subfloor.

Question:

Before I install the last of the subfloor, I'm trying to decide between running the subfloor all of the way to the concrete retaining wall or leave ~6" between the end of the subfloor and the concrete wall. The purpose would be to allow any moisture that might build up under the subfloor to have a place to vent. I will be installing 2 x 4 framing on top of the subfloor to be covered with either sheetrock or pegboard. If I leave the 6" gap, I will build the wall 6" from the wall also, anchoring it to the concrete wall in strategic points.

Any value to having a way for the space under the subfloor to vent? I have never had a water problem ... just trying to be cautious ... maybe overly so.

I hope all of this makes sense.

Robert

Sponsored Links

MO

09-30-07, 11:02 PM   #2  
I know its to late now. you should have took and tape down a 2ft X2ft poly on the floor first and see how bad the moisture is in the floor. Then put a 6 milpoly over the whole floor then the wood 2x on top of that. for now Id take the floor to about just 1 " off the walls. that will work as a vent there

Search this Thread