Uneven Floor Question

Old 10-02-07, 11:50 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Uneven Floor Question

Hello,
My two-story house has had some settling over the years and in some places I notice that the carpeted floor is slightly higher in some area than in others.

I've also noticed that in one particular area I can feel what I imagine is where the plywood sheets under the carpet padding come together - where I feel one side higher than the other - feels like about a 1/4 " ??

Is it possible to fix something like this? If not going to the extent to level the beams themselves, for this part of the floor itself, do people pull back the carpet and somehow "fill in" or level the uneven part of the plywood sheeting ?

Sorry if this sounds strange -- I've only seen a sub-floor on TV DIY shows -- haven't seen one up close.

Thanks very much!

--Barb

Old 10-02-07, 06:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not sure how extensive this is, but you can drive square drive finish screws 2 1/2" through the carpeting, into and through the plywood at a slight angle to pick up the joist and draw it down that way. The heads will sink beneath the carpet and padding. There are screws with regular heads that snap off for this purpose, too, but I have not used them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: